WHAT WE HAVE ON THIS PAGE
Freelancing Statistics: The trend of freelance work has grown into a favored option for young people to pursue a career. Recently professionals have chosen to work on their own. In addition, the world was impacted by the recession. Many people are looking into freelance work. According to a recent research conducted by Fiverr 71 percent of U.S. workers are planning to start freelance work by 2023. If you consider that 31% of freelancers earn $75,000 annually this is a good to consider earning extra income! In this post, we’ll examine the most recent statistics on freelancers by examining the characteristics of freelancers and the most affluent freelance sectors, the benefits and drawbacks of freelance work, and the impact of freelance work on the economy in general. By analyzing the patterns and trends in the freelance industry and gaining insight into the rapidly changing industry and the possibilities it offers workers and employers.
Freelancing Statistics Editor’s Choice
- The number of freelancers is estimated to be over 1.57 billion freelancers across the world in 2023.
- At present, there are 73.3 million freelancers across the U.S.A.
- According to studies conducted by industry experts according to studies, the market for freelancers worldwide is valued at $1.5 trillion, and growing with a rate of growth of 15 15%.
- Social Media Marketing is one of the most demanded skills for entrepreneurs who work as freelancers.
- 71% of employees in the United States are planning to be freelancers in 2023.
- The amount of freelancers working across the USA is predicted to rise to 90.1 million by 2028.
- Google is home to more freelancers (54 percent) than Permanent employees (46 percent).
- Generation Z chooses freelancing in 53% of instances.
- More than 12 million freelancers are registered with Upwork. This makes it the most popular platform for freelancers by 2023.
- Web design is among the most sought-after freelance technology abilities.
- Marketing via social media is among one of the most sought-after job-related skills that freelance marketers can offer.
- The majority of independent contractors depend on their network and relationships for new customers.
- The average salary for freelance writers is 42,000 dollars per year.
Global Freelancing Statistics
- In the world, 47% of employees are freelancers.
- The total figure totals 1.57 billion people, out of an overall number that is 3.38 billion.
- Digital platforms have seen freelancers work on a regular basis. This has grown in recent years.
- Despite the increase in the freelance industry, online platforms account for just 1 percent of employment worldwide.
- By 2027, the worldwide marketplace for freelance platforms will be more than 9.19 billion dollars.
- The market for freelancers’ CAGR is forecast to be 15.3 percent between 2021 and 2027.’
- Worldwide freelancers earn as much as 21 dollars an hour.
- On average, freelancers who work in areas like legal, web development accounting, as well as other skilled
- fields can earn between 28 and 30 dollars an hour. This is more than 70% of the wages across the US.
- Upwork is the world’s biggest freelancer network and has more than $2 billion in annual revenue.
- Fiverr manages three million positions across 100 categories in 196 countries all over the world every year.
- Freelancer has more than 31 million customers worldwide and has an annual profit in the range of $43.1 million.
Freelancing Wage Statistics
- In the US, programmers and data analysts earn up to 120,000 dollars annually.
- The market for skilled freelancers is growing. Especially in skilled services like IT, business consultation, etc.
- Technical and specialized freelancers tend to earn higher wages.
- The programmers earn up to the higher average wage of 60 to 70 dollars per hour.
- Data and mobile developers earn up to 55 to 65 dollars per hour.
Regional Freelancing Statistics
This is a list of the top 10 countries to freelance in. Each year, the amount of money earned rises.
- United States (78%)
- United Kingdom (59%
- Brazil (48%)
- Pakistan (47%)
- Ukraine (36 percent)
- Philippines (35%)
- India (29 percent)
- Bangladesh (27%)
- Russia (20 20%)
- Serbia (19%)
The countries that have the highest increase in freelance work may alter dramatically and quickly. emerging market economies were the most popular. Additionally, a greater Latin American presence was observed. Here is a list of the 10 countries with the fastest growth in terms of freelance year-on-year growth.
- Philippines (208%)
- India (160 percent)
- Japan (87 percent)
- Australia (86 percent)
- Hong Kong (79%)
- Mexico (72%)
- Canada (71%)
- Pakistan (69%)
- Argentina (66 percent)
- Spain (66 percent)
According to Upwork According to Upwork, the US is where freelancers earn up to 1.3 trillion dollars annually. It is also an integral part of the US economy and the labor market. The overall earnings of freelance activities in the US have increased by 100 million dollars, and the total earnings are at 1.3 trillion dollars. According to Statista, there are 4.2 million freelancers working in the UK. The freelance industry is thought to be the most important work. The amount of freelancers working in France, Germany, and Spain is around 3 million. In the majority of Europe, the number of freelancers has been growing, except for Germany. In Europe the majority of freelancers 65% are male and 35% are women. But women freelancers are expected to increase in Europe.
India is the second-fastest growing nation worldwide. Within India, in the Asia Pacific region, nearly 88% of managers who hire have contracted freelancers. According to the latest study, 84% of businesses surveyed across Asia Pacific have outsourced the tasks to freelancers. This same study shows that hiring freelancers has saved 20% of the labor cost. Africa is thought to be the home of 10 percent of the world’s freelance workforce.
Freelancing Educational Statistics
According to Upwork, About half of freelancers hold postgraduate degrees. The number of freelancers having higher education continues to grow. Freelancers with a degree of high or less constituted up to 31 percent of the freelancers. Freelancers who have a high school education can earn up to 22 dollars in an average hour. Professionals who have a bachelor’s degree earn less than 19 dollars per hour, on average. Graduates earn an average of between 24 and 24 dollars per hour.
Demographic Statistics for Freelance
All over the world, more than 2/3 rd of freelancers are younger than 35 years old.
Generation Z and Millennials make up most of the world’s freelancers.
In the Asia region, freelancers are those who are 35 years old or less.
The reality is that in North America, less than half of freelancers in North America are younger than 35.
Statistics on the Hourly Rate of Freelancing
About 40% of freelancers work between 41 and 50 hours a week.
Approximately four out of ten employees work for 41 hours a week.
About 20 percent of freelancers work more than 51 hours a working week in freelancers.
More than 25 percent of freelancers work from 30 to 40 hours a week.
Although there are many options to become a freelancer. There are three main sites that allow freelancers as well as clients to collaborate on various tasks. The three most popular websites include Upwork, freelancer.com, and Fiverr. Each has its own strengths.
- On Upwork, there are more than 21 million freelancers registered. Upwork has created a massive platform for freelancers by 2023.
- The majority of employees have been certified in their respective fields. Thus, they charge their own hourly rate or project rates, based on the choice.
- Upwork has increased each year by 22.4 percent.
- It has a variable fee for service from 5 to 20 percent.
- The revenue from managed services grows by 33% per year.
- 11.9 million dollars for the first quarter of 2022.
- Upwork’s website is responsible for more than 40 million users per month.
- Freelancer.com boasts 6.7 million monthly visitors.
- There are more than 1,800 different types of jobs available on freelancer.com
- It is one of the most sought-after in India
- Projects that are related to Ethereum are growing by 335% on freelancer.com
- Fiverr’s earnings have risen by 297.66 million dollars
- There are at present more than three million sellers active on Fiverr.
- 550 categories are available on Fiverr.
- In the first quarter of 2022, news releases had buyers from over 160 countries.
Upwork Important Statistics
- As the leading freelance marketplace, it has surpassed 1 billion dollars annually. It was launched in 2015. Today, more than 145 thousand core active clients are there to freelance using the upwork.
- Upwork has 145.4 thousand active clients spending almost 5,000 dollars per year.
- Employers on the upwork spend around 2.52 billion dollars yearly.
- Upwork also generates 80% of the gross services volume from 20% of the total clients.
- Upwork has reported revenue of about 373.63 million dollars.
- Upwork has about 540 employees.
There are many Freelancers Working in the US
Around 73.3 million freelancers living in the U.S. as of 2023.
The amount of freelancers working in the USA will be 79.6 million in 2025 and 90.1 million in 2028.
What is The Average Amount That Freelancers Earn for 2023?
Many freelancers in various fields earn good income. Let’s examine their income:
- A freelance writer typically earns anywhere from $30 to $40 per hour or $42,000 for the year.
- A data analyst working as a freelancer earns an average of $55 to 65 per hour or 100,000 per year.
- Editors who freelance typically earn between $25 and $35 an hour and up to $40,000 a year.
- A typical freelancer earns 60-70 dollars per hour and about $120,000 per year.
- An average freelance photographer earns between $35 and $45 an hour or approximately $42,000 in a year.
- A typical freelance developer earns between $50-$60 per hour, and about $1 million annually.
- Digital marketers who are independent often earn an hourly wage of $50 and 1 million dollars a year.
- Mobile app developers usually earn between $55 and $65/hour, or 1 million dollars per year as freelancers.
- Transcriptionists freelance usually earn between $20 and $25 an hour, or around $32k a year.
- A graphic designer who is independent typically will charge between $40 and $45 per hour and an annual salary of around $90k.
Top Ten Freelancing Technical Skills
- Java Script
- Web design.
- Web programming.
- Cascading Style Sheets (CSS).
- Hypertext Markup Language (HTML).
- Hypertext Preprocessor (PHP).
- Website Development.
- Application Programme Interface (API).
Top 10 Most In-demand Freelancing Skills
- Social media marketing
- Lead generation
- Search engine optimization (SEO)
- Business-2-Busniess marketing
- Instagram marketing
- Marketing strategy
- SMM – social media management
- Marketing research
- Email marketing
The Impact of a Pandemic on Freelancing
- 8.2 million freelancers joined the forces in the USA when the pandemic first began.
- The number of freelancers who are young has grown.
- 96% of freelancers recently hired claim they will increase their work as independent contractors in the near future.
- When the epidemic first began that year, nearly 28% of freelancers quit their employment.
- 82 percent of freelancers work at home.
- About 48% of freelancers think of their work in the long run.
- The cost of 52% for freelancers has risen in the global pandemic.
- Nearly 33% of freelancers’ work hours are reduced.
- The revenue is expected to rise from 665 to 675 dollars in 2023.
- Over 822,000 active clients use the Upwork platform.
- Clients spend over 4,987 dollars on average every year.
- The big freelancing countries are the USA, India, and the Philippines.
- All countries together represent 45.6% of Upwork’s freelancer revenue.
Freelancer Earning Statistics
- The male freelancers make more money than females.
- On average, female freelancers will make 84% more than a male freelancer’s income.
- 30% of the freelancers receive hourly pay.
- 65% of freelancers make more money than would in regular employment.
- The northeastern states like Rhode Island and New Jersey make the most money as freelancers yearly.
- Nearly 10% of Americans reported that used a digital platform to conduct freelance work to make money during the last year.
- Freelancer makes money by doing projects from many diverse businesses.
- In 2018, freelancers in the USA made close to 1 trillion dollars.
- Worldwide the freelancers make 19 dollars per hour.
- Freelance content writers work on upwork and make between 10 to 80 dollars USD every hour.
- The typical hourly wage for a freelance graphic designer on Upwork is about 45 dollars.
What is The Percentage of Freelancers Who Succeed?
If we consider the earning of up to 75,000 dollars as a measure of achievement. 36% of American-based full-time freelancers have this. 36% of freelancers succeed according to this measure. Keep in mind that the success of freelancers isn’t just measured by the amount of money earned. Things like work-life balance, job satisfaction, and the freedom to choose can also play a significant role in determining the success of various freelancers. Furthermore, the percentage of freelancers who are successful may differ in relation to sector, skill set, or experience level, as well as the geographical area.
Freelance Jobs Statistics
About 91% of freelancers work through word of mouth or referrals.
Most of the past clients up to 48% of workers by their own website.
About 50% of the companies use freelance platforms to hire freelancers.’
Over 75 % of the workers are in the design industry as freelancers.
The most popular freelancing jobs are copywriting, graphic designing, and software development.
The best-paying freelance jobs are computer programming, web designing, and computer programming.
Future Trends in Freelancing
- It is believed by experts that in 2012 there would be at least 67.6 million freelancers working in the US.
- In 2027, freelancers make up more than 50% of the total US workforce.
- 53.4 percent of freelancers believe that the demand for their products and services is likely to grow after the pandemic.
- The rate of growth for full-time freelancers is believed to be around 65% in the next decade.
- Remote working is permanent and accounts for 34.4 percent of the company employees on average. This means that remote work is expected to increase from 16% to greater than twice.
- The 41% rise is due to post-employment opportunities for freelancers.
- In 2024, the market for freelance services in India will reach 445 billion dollars with an annual rate of 17%.
- In 2025, there will be 350 million freelancers will be working in India.
- The projected increase in the number of Americans working on their own will rise to 54%, up from the current 48%.
A lot of workers choose to be independent from their homes by working as freelancers. This growth is accelerating. They have the flexibility they seek, and great work can be done. freelancers are able to work beyond the standard 9-5 timetable and are more productive. Since more and more workers prefer working from their homes, companies must be able to adapt for the sake of maintaining that position in the workplace.
How big is the freelancing market in 2023?
The global freelance platforms market is expected to grow from $5.52 billion in 2022 to $6.46 billion in 2023 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 17.03%.
What is the future of freelancing in 2023?
In 2023, it is expected to reach a value of $455 billion. This growth is being driven by a number of factors such as increasing demand for flexible work arrangements, the rise of remote work, and the growing skills gap in the workforce.
Which freelancing skill is in demand in 2023?
SEO, Social Media Marketing, Web Development, Graphic Design, Copywriting, etc are some of the freelancing skills in demand.
Fiverr is still a viable option for freelancers and businesses alike in 2023. In fact, we believe that Fiverr will continue to be one of the top online marketplaces for freelance work for years to come
Barry is a lover of everything technology. Figuring out how the software works and creating content to shed more light on the value it offers users is his favorite pastime. When not evaluating apps or programs, he’s busy trying out new healthy recipes, doing yoga, meditating, or taking nature walks with his little one.